Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
An easy chili recipe with lean ground beef and low in calories and fat. Most often when I want chili I want beef not chicken or turkey. This simple chili lends itself to many variations while still remaining low in calories.
- 1 lb ground beef (lean 97/3)
- 2 (15 ounce) cans pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 (15 ounce) cans crushed tomatoes
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons dried garlic, reconstituted
- 2 tablespoons chili powder (see note)
- 1 tablespoon cumin (see note)
- 2 teaspoons ground red pepper (see note)
- 2 teaspoons cilantro
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups water (optional, use as needed for consistancy)
- Cook ground beef and onions together in a skillet until meat is browned and onion is almost clear. If using 93/7 lean ground beef a small amount of oil might be needed to prevent sticking.
- Combine all ingredients in large pot. Bring to a boil and reduce heat. Cover and simmer for about 1 hour.
- Note: many variations are possible. Try adding green chilies, cubed potatoes, rice, light or fat free cheddar or whatever you can imagine.
- NOTE: Calories calculated by this system differ radically from my own. Using the values given on each of the items in the recipe I calculated only 180 Calories per 1 cup serving. 'Zaar might not be adjusting for extra lean groung beef.
- NOTE: For a milder version reduce chili powder, cumin and red pepper by 1/2.