Recipe by Smilyn
This is from Food TV's "Calorie Commando" Could be converted to Low Carb too by using low carb tortillas (best ones are Mission's new low carb), regular cheese (not low fat), low sugar tomatoes or pre-cooked, pre-cut roma tomatoes (baked and diced with an extra can of green chiles).
Top Review by sheryl.nash
I made the recipe as written and ended up throwing more than half down the drain. Way too much cream cheese for my taste and not enough flavor. If I attempt again, I might substitute the cream cheese with a low-fat, low salt cream soup and/or sour cream and add more tomatoes and green chilies for flavor.
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 lb lean ground turkey
- 2 red onions, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, smashed and chopped
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1 (4 ounce) can diced green chilies, not drained
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomatoes and green chilies, not drained
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 2 cups shredded low-fat cheddar cheese
- 2 (8 ounce) packages light cream cheese
- 8 (6 inch) corn tortillas
- 1 bunch green onion, sliced
- 1⁄4 cup shredded lowfat mozzarella cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°F Heat a large non-stick skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add 1 tablespoon canola oil to coat the bottom of the pot.
- Add the ground turkey to the hot oil and brown, breaking it up as it cooks.
- Drain meat and reserve.
- To the same skillet, add the onions and cook over medium heat until soft; then add the garlic and cook until soft.
- Stir in the chili powder and cumin.
- Add the chiles and their juices and the tomatoes and their juices.
- Add the meat back to the pan and stir until combined.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer for 20 minutes or until thick.
- Season with salt, to taste, and pepper.
- In a medium bowl, combine cheddar and cream cheese; set aside.
- Line a casserole dish with half the tortillas and ladle half of the meat mixture over.
- Cover with half of the cheese mixture like a lassagne.
- Top with half of the green onions.
- Repeat layers 1 more time.
- Bake for 45 minutes or until bubbling and let stand for 5 minutes before serving.