- 4 -5 corn tortillas (1 - 1.5 per serving)
- nonstick cooking spray (such as PAM)
- 1 1⁄2 cups cooked chicken, diced (3/4 pound before cooking)
- 3⁄4 cup canned black beans, rinsed and drained (half of a 15-ounce can)
- 1⁄3 cup chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon taco seasoning mix
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 head red leaf lettuce, torn into bite-sized pieces (about 6 cups torn pieces)
- 1 small red onion, sliced into thin rings
- 1 cup grape tomatoes, halved
- 3 tablespoons sliced jalapenos (canned type, as many as your "heat-meter" will allow)
- 3⁄4 cup grated reduced-fat cheese (cheddar-jack or Mexican-blend recommended)
- reduced-fat sour cream
Directions See How It's Made
- Spray each tortilla lightly one one side only with no-stick cooking spray; cut each tortilla in half then into cross-wise scant-1/2" strips; spread tortilla strips evenly across baking sheet and place into a 400°F oven for 8 minutes (tossing strips after 4 minutes for even baking) until they are a very light golden-brown; remove from oven and set aside.
- Meanwhile, combine chicken, beans, broth, garlic, taco seasoning, and cumin in a small saucepan; simmer 10-15 minutes, or until broth is fully absorbed so that the moist chicken mixture is warmed and flavorful; drain away any excess broth if necessary or desired.
- Toss lettuce, onion rings, tomatoes, and jalapeños together; divide lettuce mixture evenly between three serving plates; spread a large spoonful (almost ¾ cup) of chicken mixture across top of each plate of lettuce; add some grated cheese then a handful of baked tortilla strips; garnish each salad with a small dollop of sour cream and salsa as desired.