Prep 20 mins
Cook 2 hrs
A flavorful, basic chicken broth. Saved by Soup.
Make and share this Low-Fat Chicken Stock recipe from Food.com.
- Combine all the ingredients in a big stock pot and place over high heat.
- When the liquid comes to a boil, decrease the heat to med-low, cover the pot and simmer, skimming the surface occasionally, until the chicken is falling off the bone, 1 ½ to 2 hours.
- Let stand and cool to room temperature.
- Strain the broth through a large sieve or colander into a bowl or plastic container.
- Use a wooden spoon to press the chicken and vegetables against the sieve to extract as much of the broth as possible (may reserve chicken and vegetables for another use).
- Cover the container and place in the refrigerator until thoroughly chilled and the fat has hardened on the surface, at least 8 hours or preferably overnight.
- Use a slotted metal spoon or spatula to remove all of the fat from the broth.
- Divide broth into 2 or 3 smaller containers and store in the refrigerator for up to 5 days or freeze for up to 3 months.