Prep 15 mins
Cook 2 hrs
This is a simple recipe to make a chicken stock that is a bit lower in fat.
- 3 lbs chicken
- 16 cups water
- 1 large onion, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 3 medium carrots, cut into 3-inch pieces
- 3 celery ribs, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 tablespoon black peppercorns
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 large garlic clove
- Remove and discard giblets and neck from chicken. Rinse chicken under cold water; pat dry. Trim all excess fat. Place chicken, 16 cups water, and remaining ingredients in a large Dutch oven or stockpot;bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat and simmer 2 hours. Remove chicken; let cool. Remove and discard skin. Remove chicken from bones; shred with 2 forks to measure about 3 cups meat, reserving meat. (Store chicken in an airtight container in the fridge; reserve to use in soup or for other uses.) Strain broth through a papertowel-lined sieve into a large bowl; discard solids.
- Cover and chill stock overnight. Skim solidified fat from surface of stock; discard.
- Stock may be frozen in airtight containers for up to 3 months. Divide the stock into different sized containers, according to what you use in your favorite recipes that require stock.