This recipe originated from a certain Italian chef on food network. I have made this stew several times, and it is absolutely delicious!!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 1 carrot, peeled, diced
- 1 small onion, chopped
- salt and pepper
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can chopped tomatoes
- 1 (14 ounce) can low sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 cup fresh basil leaf, minced
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 1 1/2 lbs chicken breasts, with ribs (2)
- 1 (15 ounce) can kidney beans, drained (rinsed)
- 1Heat the oil in a large heavy bottomed saucepan over medium heat.
- 2Add the celery, carrot, and onion. Saute the vegetables until the onion is translucent, about 5 minutes.
- 3Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- 4Stir in the tomatoes with their juices, chicken broth, basil, tomato paste, bay leaf, and thyme.
- 5Add the chicken breasts.
- 6Bring the cooking liquid to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer gently uncovered until the chicken is almost cooked through, turning the chicken breasts over and stirring the mixture occasionally, about 25 minutes.
- 7Transfer the chicken breasts to a cutting board and cool for 5 minutes.
- 8Discard the bay leaf.
- 9Add the kidney beans to the pot and simmer until the liquid has reduced into a stew consistency, about 10 minutes.
- 10Discard the skin and bones from the chicken breasts.
- 11Shred the chicken into bite- size pieces. Return the chicken meat to the stew. Bring the stew just to a simmer.
- 12Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
Browse Our Top Chicken Breast Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Chicken Breast Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Low-Fat Chicken Stew
Serving Size: 1 (364 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 495.3
- Calories from Fat 216
- Total Fat 24.0 g
- Saturated Fat 5.8 g
- Cholesterol 108.9 mg
- Sodium 515.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 25.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.2 g
- Sugars 7.1 g
- Protein 44.6 g