Recipe by Queen of Everything
A favorite dish in our house. Often served to company with Salsa Salad, homemade guacamole and Sangria.
- 1 lb chicken breast (on the bone)
- 10 peppercorns
- 1 yellow onion
- 2 peeled garlic cloves
- 1 (7 ounce) canchopped green chilies
- 4 ounces low-fat cream cheese
- 12 (6 inch) corn tortillas
- 1 (10 ounce) can green enchilada sauce
- 4 ounces low-fat sharp cheddar cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Place chicken breast, peppercorns and onion and garlic in a large saucepan.
- Cover with water and bring to a boil.
- Reduce to a simmer and cook about 45 minutes until chicken is done.
- Remove skin and discard.
- Remove chicken from bone and shred.
- Mash cooked onion and add to chicken.
- Add green chiles with their liquid to chicken.
- Add cream cheese to chicken mixture and blend well.
- Add broth as necessary to make mixture moist.
- Cover bottom of a 9x13 baking pan with about 1/3 of the green chile enchilada sauce.
- Bring about an inch of water to a simmer in a skillet.
- Pass each tortilla through the water and then fill with 1/12 of the chicken mixture. Place in baking pan, seam side down.
- Continue this process until all tortillas are filled.
- Top enchiladas with remaining green chile sauce, and then sprinkle with cheddar.
- Cover and bake at 375 degrees for 20 minutes.
- Pass low-fat sour cream and lime wedges.