I LOVE chicken corn chowder, but it is usually really high in calories. So, when the doctor told me that I need to lose some weight, I went a-hunting for a low-fat and low-cal version. What I found was this. I love that the work is minimal. No chopping (if you use frozen onions like I do), no peeling, just open a few cans and off you go! This is just as good reheated the next day if there are leftovers. I add a little Tabasco right before eating. Also, I should note that we like our chowder meaty, so I use 2 large cans of chicken. If you like it less so, you can use only one can. If you prefer to not use canned meat, use 1 cup of cooked, diced chicken breast for each can.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans low-fat chicken broth
- 1 (16 ounce) package frozen white corn
- 2 (10 ounce) cans white meat chicken, drained
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) low-fat condensed cream of chicken soup
- 1/2 cup orzo pasta, uncooked
- 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 cup skim milk
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1In a large Dutch oven or stockpot, sauté onion in a small amount of the chicken broth over medium heat 5 minutes, or until onion is tender.
- 2To the Dutch oven, add remaining chicken broth, corn, chicken, cream of chicken soup, orzo, rosemary, basil, sugar, salt, and pepper.
- 3Bring to a boil and turn heat to low; simmer 10 minutes or until orzo is tender.
- 4In a small bowl, stir together milk and flour until smooth.
- 5Slowly add to pot and simmer 5 more minutes.
Browse Our Top Chowders Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Chowders Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Low-Fat Chicken Corn Chowder
Serving Size: 1 (326 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 264.6
- Calories from Fat 22
- Total Fat 2.5 g
- Saturated Fat 0.5 g
- Cholesterol 54.6 mg
- Sodium 269.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 34.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.7 g
- Sugars 3.1 g
- Protein 27.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
low-fat chicken broth
low-fat condensed cream of chicken soup