Recipe by smellyvegetarian
A lightened-up version of a comfort food favorite! I haven't made it yet, but will soon! From the Hamilton, OH Journal News, recipe by Jeanne Jones.
Top Review by KateL
4.5 stars. I had 3 bowls (breakfast and lunch), and DH declared that this was a fine creamy soup (he generally avoids creamy soups) that just needed some Old Bay to add the final spicy kick. I tried that, and agree. By the way, I used 2 Tbsp. canola oil; my cookware needs the oil to saute well. I saved the rest for lunches this week; I don't think this will freeze well. Made for The Wild Bunch in ZWT8 for its trip to Mexico.
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced (I'll use more!)
- 2 -3 cups fat free chicken broth
- 2 cups frozen corn, thawed
- 2 cups cooked chicken breasts, diced
- 1 (4 ounce) can green chilies
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 1⁄2 cups fat-free half-and-half
Directions See How It's Made
- Spray a large saucepan with cooking spray, then add onions through garlic and saute over mediun-high heat. Add a little chicken broth to prevent burning and cook 8-10 minutes.
- Add corn, chicken, chiles, pepper, and remaining broth. Bring to a boil 2-3 minutes.
- Dissolve cornstarch in the half and half, then stir into soup.
- Bring to a boil, then serve.