Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
I think this is better than Paneras! It is a meal if you add a salad and some crusty bread.
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1 onion (medium, finley chopped)
- 1 cup corn (frozen)
- 1⁄2 cup celery (chopped)
- 1⁄2 cup carrot (sliced)
- 1 lb chicken breast (boneless, skinless, cubed, uncooked)
- 1⁄2 lb mushroom (fresh, sliced)
- 3⁄4 cup flour
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups wild rice (cooked)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon mustard powder
- 1 teaspoon parsley (dried)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups fat-free half-and-half
- Melt butter in a large pot (10 cups at least) over medium heat.
- Stir in the onion celery corn chicken and carrots.
- Saute till chicken is cooked.
- Add the mushrooms and let them cook down.
- Add the flour and stir well.
- Grasually pour in the chicken broth, stirinng constantly.
- Bring soup to a boil, then reduce heat to simmer while stiring for 5-6 min, till it is thickened slightly.
- Add rice,salt, curry ,mustard, parsley,and pepper.
- Heat through then add the 1/2and 1/2.
- Simmer (do not boil) for 1 hour stirring occasionally to prevent sticking, to thicken slowly.
Very good soup prepared as written. The curry powder and mustard gave it the perfect savory taste.
1 star removed for misleading title as a "Low Fat" soup. If the 1/2 cup butter were changed to margarine and/or olive oil and reduced in volume, it would make a big difference in the fat content.