Recipe by MsPia
Recipe by Paul Prudhomme's
Top Review by Aaron L
I loved this recipe. I should say first that, being Australian, this was the 1st gumbo I've ever eaten so I had no expectations. I will absolutely be making this again. This is a terrific dish if you're dieting - it's satisfying, spicy, and delicious. I used almost all the proper ingredients according to the recipe. I don't think we have collard greens in Australia - we do have okra but since I had nearly all the listed ingredients at home, I used 1 large chopped carrot and a can of corn kernels to add some vegetable content instead - this is probably a form of blasphemy to a Cajun but it was delicious anyway. Highly recommended.
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 2 teaspoons dry mustard
- 1 2⁄3 teaspoons dried basil
- 1 1⁄3 teaspoons salt
- 1 1⁄3 teaspoons onion powder
- 1 1⁄3 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 7⁄8 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄3 teaspoon white pepper
- 1⁄3 teaspoon cayenne
- 2⁄3 lb chicken breast, diced into 1/2-inch cube
- 2⁄3 lb shrimp, peeled & deveined
- 1⁄2 quart mustard greens, chopped
- 1⁄2 quart onion, chopped
- 1 1⁄3 cups green bell peppers, chopped
- 1 1⁄3 cups celery, chopped
- 1⁄2 quart okra, sliced
- 2 bay leaves
- 2⁄3 cup apple juice
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour, browned
- 1⁄2 quart chicken stock
- 1 1⁄3 cups fish stock
- 1⁄2 quart collard greens, chopped
- 1 quart cooked rice
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine the the first 11 ingredients in a small bowl.
- Sprinkle the diced chicken with 1 tablespoon of the seasoning mix, and.
- sprinkle the shrimp with another 1 tablespoon of the seasoning mix.
- Preheat a heavy 5-quart pot over high heat to 350°,about 4 minutes.
- Add 3 cups of the mustard greens, 2 cups of the onions, all of the bell.
- peppers and the celery, 1 cup of the okra, and the bay leaves. Cook,.
- stirring occasionally to check for sticking, about 8 minutes.
- Add the apple juice and remaining seasoning mix, stir, and cook until.
- most of the liquid is absorbed, about 6 to 8 minutes. Add the seasoned.
- chicken, cover the pot, and cook 2 minutes. Add the browned flour and stir.
- until it is completely absorbed and a paste forms. Cover and cook 1 minute.
- Add both the stocks, stir well, cover, and bring to a boil, and cook 3.
- minutes. Add the collard greens, the remaining mustard greens, onions, and.
- okra, and mix thoroughly. Cover the pot and bring to a boil, about 5.
- minutes. Add the seasoned shrimp, stir, bring to a boil, and cook until.
- shrimp turn pink and plump, about 3 to 4 minutes. Serve over rice.