Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Recipe by Paul Prudhomme's
Make and share this Low Fat Chicken and Shrimp Gumbo recipe from Food.com.
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 2 teaspoons dry mustard
- 1 2⁄3 teaspoons dried basil
- 1 1⁄3 teaspoons salt
- 1 1⁄3 teaspoons onion powder
- 1 1⁄3 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 7⁄8 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄3 teaspoon white pepper
- 1⁄3 teaspoon cayenne
- 2⁄3 lb chicken breast, diced into 1/2-inch cube
- 2⁄3 lb shrimp, peeled & deveined
- 1⁄2 quart mustard greens, chopped
- 1⁄2 quart onion, chopped
- 1 1⁄3 cups green bell peppers, chopped
- 1 1⁄3 cups celery, chopped
- 1⁄2 quart okra, sliced
- 2 bay leaves
- 2⁄3 cup apple juice
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour, browned
- 1⁄2 quart chicken stock
- 1 1⁄3 cups fish stock
- 1⁄2 quart collard greens, chopped
- 1 quart cooked rice
- Combine the the first 11 ingredients in a small bowl.
- Sprinkle the diced chicken with 1 tablespoon of the seasoning mix, and.
- sprinkle the shrimp with another 1 tablespoon of the seasoning mix.
- Preheat a heavy 5-quart pot over high heat to 350°,about 4 minutes.
- Add 3 cups of the mustard greens, 2 cups of the onions, all of the bell.
- peppers and the celery, 1 cup of the okra, and the bay leaves. Cook,.
- stirring occasionally to check for sticking, about 8 minutes.
- Add the apple juice and remaining seasoning mix, stir, and cook until.
- most of the liquid is absorbed, about 6 to 8 minutes. Add the seasoned.
- chicken, cover the pot, and cook 2 minutes. Add the browned flour and stir.
- until it is completely absorbed and a paste forms. Cover and cook 1 minute.
- Add both the stocks, stir well, cover, and bring to a boil, and cook 3.
- minutes. Add the collard greens, the remaining mustard greens, onions, and.
- okra, and mix thoroughly. Cover the pot and bring to a boil, about 5.
- minutes. Add the seasoned shrimp, stir, bring to a boil, and cook until.
- shrimp turn pink and plump, about 3 to 4 minutes. Serve over rice.