Prep 15 mins
Cook 35 mins
I got this recipe from the So Fat, Low Fat, No Fat Cookbook and then made a few changes to suit my family...
- 3 cups water
- 6 -8 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1⁄2 cup egg substitute
- 1 cup skim milk
- 2 cups self-rising flour
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can low-fat cream of chicken soup
- In large saucepan, bring water to a boil over high heat.
- Add chicken, return to a boil, lower heat.
- Cover chicken and simmer for 30 minutes or until it is fork tender.
- Remove chicken and defat the stock.
- Return chicken and stock to pan adding cream of chicken soup and return to a boil while you mix the dumplings.
- In a medium bowl, mix the egg substitute and milk into the flour to form a soft batter-like dough.
- Drop by teaspoonfuls into the boiling broth.
- Let boil 15 minutes without stirring to thicken.
- Do Not Stir.
This was my first time ever making chicken and dumplings. My DH is pretty familiar with what they should taste like, so I let him rate them. I used 4 chicken breasts, but kept the rest of the ingredients the same. Next time I will half the dumpling mixture. I made the dumplings too big, so I had to take the chicken out after 15 minutes and cook the dumplings for another 5 minutes. This was so easy to make! Thanks so much!