1/3 Photos of Low Fat Carrot Bran Muffins
LUv 2 BaKE's Note:
Wonderful carrot bran muffins that are low in fat, yet, I find, taste almost buttery. They have a wonderful moist yet fluffy texture, and not too sweet delicious cinnamon flavour and aroma. The batter is quite thin, which creates smooth domed muffin tops. I have always made these with the soured milk instead of buttermilk. And yes, there really is 1 tbsp cinnamon in this recipe, it is not a typo! NOTE: Do not use muffin liners with this recipe - they are too moist and delicate for them so the muffins will stick to the liner.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 1/2 cups all-bran cereal (such as all bran, bran flakes)
- 2/3 cup raisins
- 1/3 cup brown sugar (I often add only 1/4 cup for breakfast muffins)
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 3/4 cups skim milk, with
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice (or 1 3/4 cup buttermilk)
- 2 tablespoons margarine, melted
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened applesauce (or pumpkin, or just margarine)
- 1 cup carrot, grated
- 1 orange, rind of, grated (optional, but recommended)
- 1Preheat oven to 400°F.
- 2In a medium bowl, combine flour, cereal, raisins (you may add the raisins in with the wet ingredients if you prefer), sugar, cinnamon, baking powder, and baking soda.
- 3In a large bowl, combine egg, milk, margarine, applesauce, carrot and orange rind.
- 4Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients and mix until just combined.
- 5Spoon into sprayed or lightly greased muffin tin (for 12 muffins) - Do NOT use paper muffin liners.
- 6Bake for 20 minutes, or until tops are firm to the touch, or when a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
Browse Our Top Muffins Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Low Fat Carrot Bran Muffins
Serving Size: 1 (1137 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 161.9
- Calories from Fat 28
- Total Fat 3.1 g
- Saturated Fat 0.6 g
- Cholesterol 18.3 mg
- Sodium 213.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 32.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.9 g
- Sugars 12.3 g
- Protein 5.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
oranges, rind of