Recipe by LUv 2 BaKE
Wonderful carrot bran muffins that are low in fat, yet, I find, taste almost buttery. They have a wonderful moist yet fluffy texture, and not too sweet delicious cinnamon flavour and aroma. The batter is quite thin, which creates smooth domed muffin tops. I have always made these with the soured milk instead of buttermilk. And yes, there really is 1 tbsp cinnamon in this recipe, it is not a typo! NOTE: Do not use muffin liners with this recipe - they are too moist and delicate for them so the muffins will stick to the liner.
Top Review by Grace F.
Yum delish, made these today, omitted the raisin cause I don't like them but added 1/2 cup of chopped walnuts, used the buttermilk and margarine and only 1/4 cup of brown sugar, followed all other ingredients and directions as noted, I really enjoyed them but didn't think my hubby would like them b/c he likes the sweet stuff (that's why he married me hahaha) but he really liked them and had two, not that these weren't sweet enough but I think someone with a sweet tooth may want to add the full1/3rd cup....will definitely be making these again.
- 1 1⁄2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-bran cereal (such as all bran, bran flakes)
- 2⁄3 cup raisins
- 1⁄3 cup brown sugar (I often add only 1/4 cup for breakfast muffins)
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 3⁄4 cups skim milk, with
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice (or 1 3/4 cup buttermilk)
- 2 tablespoons margarine, melted
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened applesauce (or pumpkin, or just margarine)
- 1 cup carrot, grated
- 1 orange, rind of, grated (optional, but recommended)
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- In a medium bowl, combine flour, cereal, raisins (you may add the raisins in with the wet ingredients if you prefer), sugar, cinnamon, baking powder, and baking soda.
- In a large bowl, combine egg, milk, margarine, applesauce, carrot and orange rind.
- Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients and mix until just combined.
- Spoon into sprayed or lightly greased muffin tin (for 12 muffins) - Do NOT use paper muffin liners.
- Bake for 20 minutes, or until tops are firm to the touch, or when a toothpick inserted comes out clean.