Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
Another wonderful recipezaar.com contributor recipe I've modified for dietary reasons. See Caramelized Onion Dip/Spread from kittencal for the original. This dip is so good with veggies, crackers, or on a burger. We couldn't get enough of the sweet caramelized onions and kick of cayenne flavors, and we didn't even miss the fat.
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 large onions, diced (about 3 1/2 cups)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon seasoning salt (or to taste)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 -2 tablespoon garlic, minced fresh
- 1 (8 ounce) package light cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup nonfat sour cream
- 1⁄2 cup light mayonnaise
- 1⁄4 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- Heat the butter and oil in the fry pan over medium heat.
- Add in the onions, cayenne, salt and pepper; saute until softened.
- Add in garlic and cook for 2-3 minutes; be careful not to burn the garlic.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and cook stirring occasionally for approximately 20 minutes more until onions are brown and caramelized;
- Drain the excess fat from the onions and set aside to cool.
- In a bowl, beat the cream cheese, sour cream, mayonnaise and Worcestershire until smooth.
- Add in the onion mixture; mix well to combine.
- Cover and place in fridge for at least 2 or more hours before serving.