A healthier variation of my Buttermilk Bran Muffins. I have found they are a perfect WW 2 Points Plus snack after a workout. (They are 3 points plus with the oats added.) They also are very good for keeping your system regular when you are limiting your fat intake. ;) You can keep the batter in the refrigerator for several days and bake them as you need them, but they also freeze really well. (If you don't have fat free buttermilk, place 2 Tbls. of vinegar or lemon juice in a measuring cup then add low fat milk until it totals 2 cups altogether.) Sometimes I get bored with the original plain muffins and add some or all of the optional ingredients. I've also started adding 1 cup of old fashioned oats to mimic nuts in the muffins. They are delicious with WW's cream cheese on them too. PLEASE NOTE: wheat bran is NOT cereal. I buy mine at the bulk food store, and it looks like sawdust. Oat bran can be used in its place but the muffins aren't as tasty IMHO.
- 2 cups wheat bran
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 cups fat-free buttermilk
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 2 tablespoons molasses
- 1 -2 large granny smith apple, cored and chopped (optional)
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon (optional)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg (optional)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ginger (optional)
- 1 cup old fashioned oats (optional)
- Mix dry ingredients in bowl. Add the applesauce, buttermilk, eggs and molasses; mix well. Gently mix in chopped apple.
- Bake in greased muffin pan at 350°F for 15-17 minutes or until tests done with a toothpick.