Recipe by Bec
If you use sun-dried tomatoes packed in oil, drain them, rinse well in warm water, and drain again on paper towels to remove as much oil as possible. Sun-dried tomatoes give a rich, full flavor to this dish, but thinly sliced fresh tomatoes can be used as well.
- 1⁄4 cup dry-pack sun-dried tomato
- 1 1⁄4 cups boiling water
- 14 inches long granary French bread or 14 inches whole-wheat stick French bread
- 1 large garlic clove, halved
- 1⁄4 cup pitted black olives in brine, drained and cut into fourths
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 1⁄3 cup grated lowfat mozzarella cheese
- salt and pepper
- fresh basil leaf, to garnish
Directions See How It's Made
- Place the sun-dried tomatoes in a heatproof bowl and pour over the boiling water.
- Set aside for 30 minutes to soften- Drain well and pat dry with paper towels.
- Slice into thin strips and set aside.
- Trim and discard the ends from the bread and cut into 12 slices.
- Arrange on a broiler rack and place under a preheated hot broiler- Cook for 1 to 2 minutes on each side, until lightly golden.
- Rub both sides of each piece of bread with the cut sides of the garlic.
- Top with strips of sun-dried tomato and the olives.
- Brush lightly with olive oil and season well.
- Sprinkle over the basil and mozzarella and return to the broiler for 1 to 2 minutes, until the cheese is melted and bubbling.
- Transfer to a warmed serving platter and garnish with fresh basil leaves.