Recipe by Tanya Schaad
Yummy and may adhere to Dean Ornish's diet for reversing heart disease. This is an adaptation of a recipe from "Tofu Times" reprinted on www.morinu.com.
- 1 1⁄3 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 cup unsweetened applesauce (I like to use Santa Cruz Apple Cherry Sauce)
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 12 ounces silken lite firm tofu
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1⁄3 cup cocoa powder
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped nuts (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven.
- Combine flour, baking soda, and cinnamon in a medium bowl.
- Separately, mix well applesauce, oil, sugar, tofu, extracts, and cocoa powder in a blender or food processor.
- Pour mixture into the combined dry ingredients and mix well with a spatula.
- Lightly spray a 7x5 or 8x8 cake pan with a Canola oil cooking spray.
- Pour mixture into greased pan and cover with chopped nuts if desired.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes at 350 degrees.