Recipe by Kittencal@recipezazz
Taken from Cook's Illustrated "The Best Light Recipes". This is a tried and true brownie recipe that is made using way less and better than your average brownie recipe.
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon warm water
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 1⁄2 teaspoon instant espresso powder
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 ounces semisweet chocolate, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
Directions See How It's Made
- Set oven to 350 degrees (adjust oven rack to middle position).
- Line an 8-inch square metal baking pan with parchment paper or foil, then spray lightly with cooking spray.
- In a small bowl whisk together flour and baking powder; set aside.
- In another bowl whisk cocoa powder, water, vanilla and espresso powder; set aside.
- In a medium microwave-safe bowl microwave the butter and chopped chocolate together on 50% power until melted (about 1 minute); whisk until the mixture is smooth, then add in sugar and salt and whisk until completely combined.
- Add in the cocoa mixture and then the egg; whisk until combined.
- Stir in the flour mixture until JUST incorporated (do not overmix!).
- Pour the batter into prepared baking pan and smooth out on top.
- Bake for about 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out with a few moist crumbs attached (rotate the pan about halfway through baking, do not overbake the brownies).