Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
From 1,001 Low Fat Recipes
- 2 medium broccoli stems
- 1⁄2 small head cauliflower
- 1 cup chopped green onion
- 2 teaspoons margarine
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 3 cups fat-free chicken broth
- 1 1⁄3 cups coarsely chopped potatoes, peeled
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons dried chives
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons dried basil leaves
- 1 1⁄2 cups 2% low-fat milk
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- Clean the broccoli and cauliflower, reserving 3/4 cup of the broccoli, and 3/4 cup of the cauliflower florets, chopping the rest fine.
- Saute green onios in margarine until tender.
- Stir in flour, cooking for 1 minute.
- Stir in Chicken stock, chopped broccoli and cauliflower, potatoes, chives, and basil and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer until potatoes are tender.
- Process in food processor until smooth.
- Add milk and reserved broccoli and cauliflower florets until boiling again.
- Reduce heat and simmer until florets are crisp-tender.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Excellent soup recipe! I love that some of the veggies are blended and the rest are just mixed in. I added carrots to mine and a couple extra cups of broth. Now I've got lunch for the whole week! Thank you!
Pretty good soup! I would like to have had some carrots or something in there, too to deepen the flavor profile but it was nice and easy to make.
Nice soup on a cool day. I didn't have enough chicken stock so I added shrimp stock. I added a couple red and yellpw peppers with the onions. With the broccoli & potatoes I added a carrot. I had no cauliflower. All in all, it was still good. Some cheese on top would be a nice touch.