Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
Dee-lish! Serve with salsa or ketchup!
- 1 teaspoon oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 large green pepper, diced
- 4 ounces ham, diced
- 8 ounces lean turkey sausage
- 1 cup low-fat baking mix
- 2 cups fat free egg substitute
- 1 cup part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup skim milk
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 2 teaspoons ground pepper
- 2 teaspoons salt
- Sute onion and pepper in oil until beginning to soften. Add sausage, and, when the sausage is beginning to brown, add the ham. Saute for several minutes more.
- Spray a casserole with non-stick spray, and layer 1/2 of the pepper/onion/meat mix in the bottom of the casserole. Top with 1/2 cup of the baking mix (low-fat bisquik) and 1/2 cup of cheese.
- Cover the cheese layer with the remaining pepper/onion/meat mix, and top with the remaining baking mix and cheese.
- In a large bowl, mix the egg substitute, milk, and spices. Pour the egg mixture over the layers in the casserole, and, with a knife, mix the casserole layers slightly to let the egg mixture penetrate all. At this point, the casserole can be covered to sit in the fridge overnight, or it can be baked immediately. (I prefer to let it sit; the flavors meld and improve).
- To bake: Preheat oven to 350 F and bake for 30-45 minutes, until set in the middle. Let cool before serving.
I made this for a quick breakfast on a busy Easter morning and it was great! I did opt to make it ahead and refrigerate which helped. My family loves spicy and it had just the right amount of "bite"! I especially appreciated that it was low fat but you'd never know it.