Recipe by Manda
You would never guess that this is low-fat! My whole family loves this dessert, and I enjoy making it for them bacause I know that not only does it taste good, it won't wreck your diet either! It seems like a lot of work, but it's really not too bad because you make the filling and glaze while the cake is baking, and then all you have left is the assembly. Oh, it is SOOO worth the effort!!(prep time includes refigeration)
Top Review by barboura
I liked this recipe and used it to give me an idea that was easier for me. I really can't make a cake...at all. So for this recipe, I used a box mix, sugar free. Made 2 9 inch cakes and added the pudding and the second cake with the glaze on the top. followed the rest of the recipe exactly. The glaze covered the cake, however, next time I may double the glaze. This is a delicious, semi-quick and easy cake to put together and tasted great. I made it for my husbands birthday and he loved it!!!!!!
- 1 1⁄3 cups flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 3 egg whites, at room temperature
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup extra-light vegetable oil spread (such as Promise)
- 2⁄3 cup skim milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 package instant vanilla pudding
- 1 1⁄2 cups skim milk
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1⁄3 cup skim milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Lightly grease or spray 8 or 9-inch cake pan.
- Mix flour, baking powder, and salt in small bowl.
- In medium bowl, beat egg whites at medium speed until frothy.
- Gradually add 1/4 cup of the sugar, beating until stiff peaks form.
- In large bowl with same beaters, beat remaining 1/4 cup sugar and veg oil spread until light and fluffy.
- With mixer on low speed, alternately beat in flour mixture and milk until blended.
- Stir in vanilla and 1/3 of the egg white mixture.
- Fold in remaining egg whites until no white streaks remain.
- Pour into pan and bake 35 min.
- ,or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool in pan on wire rack 10 minutes.
- Turn out on rack to cool completely.
- While cake is baking make filling and glaze.
- Filling: Prepare pudding according to package directions, using the 1 1/2 cup milk.
- Refrigerate 30 minutes, or until thickened.
- Glaze: Mix sugar, cocoa, and cornstarch in small saucepan.
- Stir in milk and bring to boil over medium heat.
- Cook 1 minutes, stirring constantly, or until slightly thickened.
- Refrigerate 20 minutes to cool.
- To Assemble Cake: With serrated knife, cut cake in half horizontally.
- Place bottom layer, cut side up, on serving platter.
- Spread filling over top and top with remaining layer of cake, cut side down.
- Spread glaze over top, letting some of the glaze drip down sides.
- Chill 3 hours or until glaze sets.