Recipe by Dancer^
(high fiber) Overnight soaking not included in preparation time.
Top Review by sunflower99
We really enjoyed this soup. My teenage son ate 2 bowl fulls. This also makes TONS of soup so I put some in the freezer for a day when I'm feeling too lazy to cook. I did make a few changes: I used 1 large onion instead of 2. I used 4 cloves of garlic. I didn't have any canned tomatoes so I chopped one large tomato. I also didn't have parsley so I just left it out. I also ommitted the chicken bouillon (we are vegans) and substituted veggie broth powder for another flavor. This is a recipe I plan on using again and again. Thank you!
- 1 lb dried black beans
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 onions, chopped
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 (28 ounce) can plum tomatoes, undrained
- 1 orange, quartered (unpeeled)
- 1⁄2 cup Italian parsley, Chopped
- 4 chicken bouillon cubes
- 2 teaspoons Tabasco sauce
- 2 teaspoons cumin (or to taste)
Directions See How It's Made
- Soak the beans overnight, drain and rinse.
- Cover the beans with water in a large pot, bring to a boil and simmer 1 hour.
- Add the remaining ingredients except the parsley and simmer for 1 1/2 hours or until the beans are tender, adding more water if needed.
- Remove the orange quarters and serve over cooked whole grains; sprinkle with parsley.