1/6 Photos of Low-Fat Black and White Cookies
1 hr 15 mins
Since I'm not a native New Yorker, I can't say how these compare to the full fat version. Nevertheless, these are delightful, soft cookies with just a hint of lemon. They are wonderful when in the mood for something a little different. Recipe taken from Cooking Light.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 2 large egg whites
- 1COOKIE: Preheat oven to 375°F.
- 2Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- 3Set applesauce in a fine sieve to drain while you prepare the other ingredients.
- 4In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder and salt.
- 5In a large bowl, cream together butter and sugar until smooth, 1-2 minutes. Beat in applesauce, vanilla and lemon juice. Add in egg whites and beat until well combined. Stir in flour mixture until batter is smooth.
- 6Drop batter two tablespoonfuls at a time onto the prepared baking sheet. Smooth slightly to form nice, round circles.
- 7Bake for 10 minutes, until set but not browned.
- 8Allow to cool for a few minutes on the baking sheet, then remove to a wire rack to cool completely.
- 9ICING: When cookies are cool, prepare the icing. Sift 3/4 cup confectioners sugar into two small bowls. Add 1 tbsp milk and the almond and vanilla extracts to one bowl and stir until smooth. Add cocoa and 2 tbsp milk to the other bowl and stir until smooth.
- 10Using a small knife and working over the bowls to catch drips, spread each icing over half of each cookie. Set on a rack until icing is set, then store cookies in an airtight container.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Low-Fat Black and White Cookies
Serving Size: 1 (93 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 274.7
- Calories from Fat 46
- Total Fat 5.1 g
- Saturated Fat 3.1 g
- Cholesterol 12.8 mg
- Sodium 217.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 55.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.0 g
- Sugars 37.8 g
- Protein 3.1 g