Prep 10 mins
Cook 55 mins
- 3⁄4 lb round tip steak, cut 1/8 to 1/4-inch thick
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 cups water
- 1 (13 1/2 ounce) can ready-to-serve beef broth
- 1 (8 ounce) jar salsa
- 2 cups spinach leaves or 2 cups escarole, thinly sliced
- 1 cup lentils
- In Dutch oven, heat oil over medium heat until hot. Add onion and garlic; cook and stir 3 to 5 minutes or until tender.
- Add water, broth, picante sauce and lentils.
- Bring to a boil; reduce heat to low.
- Cover tightly and simmer 35 to 45 minutes or until lentils are tender.
- Meanwhile trim fat from beef steaks.
- Stack steaks and cut lengthwise in half and then crosswise into 1-inch strips; set aside. Increase heat to medium; bring to a boil.
- Stir in beef and escarole. Immediately remove from heat. Cover and let stand 5 minutes before serving.
This was tasty! It is definitely full of fiber! But it is full-flavor, too, with a lot of texture. Thanks for posting, Dancer!