Recipe by PsychRN
This dish helps my craving for Mexican flavors without feeling I've totally blown my resolve to eat more healthy. Serve with a crisp cool salad and your done. This also freezes well just omit the cheese and cilantro until after baking.
Top Review by Voracious Nic
Delicious and just what the doctor ordered when craving comfort food/casserole. The recipe is fab as is but I did make a few tiny adjustments...added Anaheim chili's with the green bell pepper. Added some sliced olives to the top with cheese. Garnished with avocado and green onions and traded It. parsley for cilantro...yum yum...
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1⁄2 cup onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup green bell pepper, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (15 ounce) whole kernel corn, drained
- 1 (15 ounce) ranch style beans, drained
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) fat-free cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) Rotel Tomatoes, drained
- 1 (1 1/4 ounce) package taco seasoning mix
- 8 corn tortillas, halved
- 1⁄3 cup fat free sour cream
- 1⁄3 cup reduced-fat Mexican cheese blend
- 1⁄2 bunch chopped fresh cilantro
Directions See How It's Made
- Brown the beef with onions, peppers, and garlic, stirring to break up the beef.
- Cook until no longer pink. Drain the meat mixture well. I like to press the mix with paper towels to remove as much excess fat as possible.
- Return the beef to the skillet.
- Add the corn, beans, Rotel tomatoes, soup, sour cream and taco mix to the beef and simmer on low for 5 minutes.
- Spray a 13x9 pan with cooking spray.
- Layer 8 halves of tortillas on the bottom of pan and top with 1/2 of the beef mixture. Repeat layer with remaining tortillas and beef.
- Bake at 350°F for about 30 minutes.
- Remove from oven and top with grated cheese.
- Let set 5-10 minutes, then top with fresh chopped cilantro and serve.