Recipe by Noo
The meat is extended with mushrooms here, for extra fibre. DH isn't keen on mushrooms, but loves these little babies. We love these served in pita bread for a really great tasting low fat/low cholesterol dinner.
Top Review by Boomette
I chopped finely the onion and mushroom with a knife. I didn't want to use the food processor. And then I mixed everything together in a large bowl. It was perfect. It gave us 4 large burgers. Great taste. I used dried oregano and basil. Thanks Noo :) Made for PRMR tag game
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 cups small cup mushrooms
- 450 g lean minced beef
- 1 cup fresh wholemeal breadcrumbs
- 1 teaspoon dried mixed herbs
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- flour, for shaping
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Place the onion and mushrooms in a food processor and whizz until finely chopped. Add the beef, breadcrumbs, herbs, tomato paste and seasonings. Process for a few seconds until the mixture binds together but still has some texture.
- Divide the mixture into patties ( I sometimes make lots of smaller ones as opposed to a few large ones, as they are easier to cook and stuff into pita bread that way!) and press into burger shapes with lightly floured hands.
- Cook the burgers in a non stick frying pan, or under a hot grill , turning once, until evenly cooked.
- NB. Please be aware that the mixture is quite soft, so you will need to handle carefully to prevent the burger from breaking up while cooking.