Recipe by SJG3483
When I substituted some of the butter with applesauce in a previous recipe, it actually made the bread more moist. I put one loaf in the freezer, but had to take it out within 24 hours because the first was devoured!
Top Review by amyk86
Delicious! I tweaked the recipe to make it a bit healthier. I used 1/2 cup (unsweetened) applesauce to make it more moist. I used 3/4 cup whole wheat flour and 3/4 cup white flour. I also used less sugar than the recipe recommends, 3/4 cup instead of 1. I figured that the bananas and applesauce are sweet anyways. I also added nutmeg and cinnamon for extra flavor. I decided to make it a muffin pan, because I personally like it be in servings already so that I don't take too big of a slice!! Very good and I will definitely make it again. Maybe even a bit less sugar next time...
- 4 very ripe bananas
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup white sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons applesauce
Directions See How It's Made
- Mash bananas in a bowl.
- Add all other ingredients and mix well.
- Pour into 2 greased loaf pans (or you can pour it all into one, but it rises enough that you can split it in half).
- Bake at 350 degrees for 50 to 60 minutes, or until toothpick inserted into center of cake comes out clean.