Prep 10 mins
Cook 50 mins
A moist flavorful lower fat version of banana bread. Applesauce is used as a substitute for oil or butter. Cinnamon and nutmeg spices can be added for an even more flavorful loaf.
- 3⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3⁄4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 eggs or 2 egg whites
- 3 -4 bananas
- 1⁄3 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup walnuts
- Lightly grease a glass loaf pan with a fat free baking oil spray and preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Mix together dry ingredients in a large bowl and stir in nuts.
- Mash bananas and mix in applesauce, egg(or egg whites), and vanilla extract.
- Mix the banana mixture in with the dry ingredients. Stir until wet.
- Pour into greased pan.
- If desired, sprinkle instant rolled oats on top of the mixture before putting in the oven.
- Bake in oven for 50-55 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Leave in pan and cool on rack for 10 minutes and then remove from pan and cool on rack until room temperature.