Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
No oil added, moist, low sugar, whole wheat...and delicious! Very flexible recipe-I throw in shredded carrots, apples, flax seed, oats, chocolate chips, etc.
- 3 very ripe bananas (using medium sized bananas)
- 4 eggs
- 1⁄3 cup nonfat milk
- 1⁄3 cup plain yogurt
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons baking powder (bread ~doubles in height while baking)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 3⁄4 cups flour (I use half whole-wheat & half white)
- 1 3⁄4 cups oats
- 3⁄4 cup smashed almonds (I've always used almonds or pecans, pounded with a hammer until they are like rough ground pepper)
- 2 tablespoons ground flax seeds
- Mix wet ingredients together in blender, adding oats & nuts gradually.
- Mix wet mixture into dry ingredients in a large bowl.
- Stir batter only enough to completely mix ingredients; don't over mix which will toughen the bread.
- Pour batter into greased pans (sprinkled with granulated sugar if you want a crunchy sweet crust) and bake at 350 for 45 minutes-1 hour-do the knife test to check doneness or until the middle of the loaf is set, being careful not to burn the top and bottom of the loaf.
- Bread will continue to cook in the middle after you take it out of the oven.
We made 1 loaf using all AP flour, 3 bananas and 1/4 cup coarsley chopped pecans for this recipe. The use of brown sugar gives this banana bread a wonderful unique flavor. We enjoy slices of banana bread toasted it in a buttered skillet. Made for PAC Fall 08' game.