Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
A tasty low fat treat...use very ripe bananas for added sweetness.
- 4 bananas, very ripe
- 1⁄2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1⁄3 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄3 cup Splenda granular (or use white sugar if you prefer)
- 1⁄3 cup egg white (1 whole egg also works)
- 3⁄4 cup skim milk, soured with 1 tbsp white vinegar
- 1⁄2 cup mini chocolate chip
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 cup wheat bran
- 1 teaspoon baking powder (generous)
- 3⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 375. Spray muffin tin with non-stick spray.
- In a large bowl, mash bananas. To bananas, add applesauce, sugar, splenda, egg whites, skim milk with vinegar added to it, and chocolate chips.
- In a separate bowl, mix flour, bran, baking soda, baking powder, and salt.
- Add dry ingredients to wet, and stir until just combined.
- Place in muffin tin and bake for 20 - 25 minutes, until lightly browned and knife inserted comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack.
WONDERFUL! Dense, not light, but still cakey, and a really strong banana flavor. Great recipe, and so healthy, thanks!
These turned out great! The muffins were tasty, dense, but cakey. The recipe yielded 15 large muffins for me. Yummy and healthy!
Great muffins, I am working with a new to me, old stove, who's temp is not very consistent, so ended up pulling the muffins out a little early, (30 min),so on the cooling racks put them back in the hot oven for 10min, now they have a great crispy exterior shell, even better , also used raisins not chocolate chips