Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
This recipe is my favorite way to use overly-ripened bananas.
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup applesauce
- 1⁄4 cup margarine
- 1 egg
- 1⁄3 cup milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 very ripe banana
- finely chopped walnuts, if desired
- 2 tablespoons margarine
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄2 medium banana, mashed
- Mash banana and lemon juice together.
- Combine all ingredients and beat for 2 minutes at medium speed.
- Spread in a greased 9 x 13 inch pan.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes at 350 degrees.
- Combine all frosting ingredients and frost when bars are cool.
- Sprinkle with walnuts if desired.
Wonderful recipe. I left out the butter from the cake altogether and doubled the amount of applesauce. The texture was spongy and delicious. It was a wonderful treat. Thanks for the recipe.
Delicious! Followed the recipe
Very tasty. My hubby is already on his third piece as I write this review! I used half cake flour, half all purpose flour in hopes it would have a lighter cake texture. It turned out a little dense, but more cake like than a banana bread, exactly what I wanted.
To further "healthify" this recipe I made the following changes;
1) Substituted the margarine in both bar and frosting with Brummel & Brown spread.
2) Cut the frosting ingredients in half, thinned it out with a touch of water, more like a glaze. It covered the bar (cake) well and is plenty sweet for us.
3) Omitted the walnuts, this time ;)
For Weight Watchers Plus program I calculated 4 points per bar, with my adjustments. Yum!