This is a low fat, healthy alternative to traditional banana breads. I think it is very good, and I doubt that anyone you serve it to would know the difference between this bread or one made with higher calorie, cholesterol ladened oils. Total calories, as I figured them (RecipeZaar figures them differently) w/ Walnuts/ Craisins - Calories 1485/ Fat 25.75/ Fiber 32 - 1 Loaf Serving = 186/3.2/4 - WW Pts = 3. Half Loaf Srvg = 2 WW Pts. My calorie totals w/ out Walnuts/ Craisins - Calories 1155/ Fat 5.75/ Fiber 27 - 1 Loaf Servings = 144/>1/3.4 - WW Pts = 2. Half Loaf Srvg = 1 WW Pt. If using crushed pineapple instead of mandarin oranges, the calorie count would drop by 60 calories for the whole batch - 140/0/2 - that is, 7.5 calories @ srvg (mini-loaf sz) - fat/fiber would remain the same - so the variance is minimal, and would not change WW Pts. You could also add - 1/3 cup Sweetened Coconut - 117/7.9/1.1 (adds abt. 8g sugar) - with or w/out the walnuts, or double the Coconut to 2/3 cup, dropping the walnuts all together! All variations would change WW Pts count - adding 1/3c coconut in addition to chopped walnuts would change to: 1602/33.65/33.1 - 8 srvgs = 200/4.2/4.2 or 4 Pts. Replacing 1/3 cup coconut flakes for the 1/4 cup walnuts, would leave the point count the same as originally figured: 3 Pts @ mini-loaf srvg. Okay, just a thought here - but, I'll bet this recipe would make great cookie too! They would be moist, soft cookie - if you made 24 cookie - even w/ the walnuts and craisins - they'd be about 1 WW Pt for each cookie. Really, there are so many variations you could do to this recipe! You could add some dried candied fruit to make it a fruit cake type loaf or cookie (probably adding loads of calories and points - but for a occasional treat you might consider it - if you do that, I'd use broken walnuts, not chopped - bigger chunks like in regular fruit cake). I hope I've given you enough info so that you can, without doing much math, figure the various calorie or points totals. Sorry for the lengthy introduction, but I really think this recipe is great! Let me know what you think! I appreciate your input or suggestions.
- 1 cup white whole wheat
- 2⁄3 cup old-fashioned oatmeal
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon orange zest (fresh good, dried okay)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon (or to taste)
- 1 (11 ounce) can mandarin oranges (drained)
- 2 medium ripe bananas
- 1⁄3 cup craisins (optional)
- 1⁄4 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
- 1 cup powdered Splenda sugar substitute (no calorie version)
- 1⁄2 cup egg substitute (or 2 egg whites)
- 1⁄2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Combine first 6 ingredients on the list.
- Mash bananas and oranges (drain liquid off first) in separate bowl until blended - some chucky-ness okay. NOTE: Can replace oranges w/ 1 - 8 oz. can crushed pineapple - also drained.
- Combine mixed dry ingredients with mashed bananas and oranges.
- Add remaining ingredients on list and stir.
- Pour into pans that have been sprayed w/ baking spray (mini-loaf pans - makes 8 decent sized loafs).
- Bake 350 degree until golden brown (pan sizes vary cooking time - mine cooked about 30 - 35 mins).