Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
Sounds impossible, doesn't it? I found this amazing recipe in Cooking Light Magazine a few years ago and have been making it ever since. This is great for entertaining at brunch, as all of the work is done the night before.
- 24 slices cinnamon raisin bread
- cooking spray
- 3 cups 1% low-fat milk
- 2 cups egg substitute, divided (like Egg Beaters)
- 1 cup half-and-half cream
- 1 cup sugar, divided
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 (8 ounce) package fat free cream cheese, softened
- 1 (8 ounce) package light cream cheese, softened
- Trim crusts from bread. Arrange half of the bread in a 13x9 inch baking dish coated with cooking spray.
- Combine milk, 1-1/2 cups egg substitute, half & half, and ½ cup sugar in a large bowl, stirring with a whisk. Pour half of milk mixture over bread in dish.
- Combine ½ cup egg substitute, ½ cup sugar, vanilla, nutmeg and cheeses in a food processor or blender, process until smooth. Pour cream cheese mixture over moist bread in dish. Top with remaining bread, pour remaining milk mixture over bread. Cover and refrigerate 8 hours or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Uncover and bake at 350 for 55 minutes. Let stand 10 minutes before serving. Sprinkle with cinnamon sugar if desired.
This tastes really good but hardly resembles french toast - the layers meld together completely. One of my guests commented that this was the best 'bread pudding he'd ever had.