Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
A yummy creamy soup that you won't believe is low fat!
- 4 baking potatoes
- 3 tablespoons reduced-calorie margarine
- 3 1⁄2 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1⁄4 cup onion, minced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 cups 2% low-fat milk
- 3 cups 1% low-fat milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons white pepper
- 1⁄2 cup fat free sour cream
- 3⁄4 cup shredded reduced-fat sharp cheddar cheese
- 8 teaspoons low fat bacon bits (like hormel)
- 8 teaspoons shredded reduced-fat sharp cheddar cheese
- 4 teaspoons scallions, diced
- Preheat oven to 400.
- Pierce potatoes with a fork and bake for 1 hour or until tender. Cool. Peal potatoes and cut 2 potatoes into cubes, and mash other 2 potatoes. Set aside.
- In a large sauce pan or dutch oven, melt butter over medium-high heat. Add onion and garlic and saute for 3 minutes, or until onion is translucent. Add flour and ground mustard. Cook mixture for 2 minutes. Slowly add milk, stirring with a whisk until blended. Bring sauce to boil and then reduce heat to medium-low. Cook sauce for 10-15 minutes, or until sauce begins to thicken. Stir in potato cubes and mashed potatoes, salt, and white pepper. Remove from heat.
- Stir in sour cream and cheddar cheese. Adjust seasonings to taste.
- Sprinkle each 1 1/2 serving with 1 t bacon bits, 1 t cheddar cheese, and 1/2 t chopped scallions.