Prep 45 mins
Cook 8 mins
Make certain that the cheese sticks are very well coated with the egg/water mix and the cereal coating, or the cheese will flow out when baking, also let the cheese sticks sit out for 30 minutes to dry out the outer crumb coating before baking, the cornflakes must be very finely crushed or they will not adhear to the sticks, these steps are very important --- prep time includes drying out for 30 minutes.
- 4 cups corn flakes cereal (finely crushed to measure 1 cup)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 egg whites
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 (8 ounce) package lowfat mozzarella cheese (can use full fat cheese) or 1 (8 ounce) package mozzarella cheese, strings (can use full fat cheese)
- Set oven to 400 degrees.
- Lightly grease a medium pan lined with foil.
- In a large bowl, combine the crushed 1 cup cereal with the oregano and garlic salt, mix to combine.
- In another small bowl place in the flour. In another bowl thoroughly beat the egg whites with the 2 tbsp of water.
- Cut the mozzarella cheese into 12 sticks, approximately 2-3/4-inches in length.
- Dip the cheese sticks in the flour, then in the egg/water mix, then in the cereal mixture (make sure that the cheese sticks are well coated with egg mix and cereal mix, as the cheese will run out while baking).
- Arrange cheese sticks on the baking sheet.
- Allow the sticks to set for 30 minutes before baking.
- Bake in a 400 degree oven for about 8 minutes, until cheese is soft and sticks are lightly browned.
- Recipe can be doubled for more cheese sticks.
Oooo gosh these were so good! I used egg beaters in place of the real egg whites to make them even more guilt-free. I dipped them in the egg, then flour, then more egg and lastly into the cereal crumbs. Only a TINY bit of the cheese oozed out while cooking. The taste of these was perfect and the very crunchy outside layer made these different from other cheese sticks. I dipped these into my favorite pizza sauce and majorly enjoyed these with my dinner tonight. These will be a regular for me...thanks so much for the recipe!
We really enjoyed these. I did do the double dipping of the sticks and put them in the fridge like most of the reviews have suggested. Looking at the photos I think I may not have crushed my cereal fine enough. Mine held up very well until the last minute of cooking and that's when the cheese started to ooze out. I served them with some pizza sauce. Yummy. Thanks for posting.
Just had a dinner party and these got rave reviews. Mine held together really well. I coated them in this order: eggs, flour, eggs, cereal. Then, I put them in the fridge over night. I would recommend these to anyone.