Recipe by morgainegeiser
One thing that most kugels have in common is large amounts of high-fat ingredients. This version the "culprits" have been replaced with orange juice, egg whites and apricot jam.
Top Review by Susiecat too
This was an outstanding kugel. In my family growing up we always had dairy kugel made with cheese and sour cream, and it was not sweet at all. Once in a while when eating at someone else's home we would get to taste sweet kugels made with cinnamon and raisins, and it always seemed like a dessert to me! This apricot kugel is decadently sweet, but perfect to accompany a meat main dish that calls out for a little sweetness. I like that there is no dairy, so I can serve this whenever I want! I used dried apricots rather than raisins, and used my own Recipe #246688. If I wanted to make this truly decadent, I would add a little ricotta cheese and sour cream, but that would defeat the "lowfat" part, wouldn't it? A lovely dish, morgainegeiser, thanks so much!
- 6 ounces fine noodles, uncooked
- 1⁄2 cup fruit-only apricot fruit spread
- 1⁄2 cup orange juice
- 4 egg whites
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1⁄3 cup raisins or 1⁄3 cup chopped dried apricot
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook noodles according to package directions. Drain and let cool for about 10 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Lightly oil an 8-inch square baking pan or spray with a nonstick cooking oil.
- In a large bowl, combine jam, orange juice, egg whites and extracts. Beat with a fork or wire wisk until blended. Stir in raisins. Add noodles and mix well. Spoon mixture into prepared pan. Press the noodles down gently with the back of a spoon.
- Combine sugar and cinnamon and sprinkle evenly over the top of the kugel. Cover tightly and bake 15 minutes. Uncover and continue to bake 20 minutes more, until kugel is set.
- Let stand for 20 minutes before serving. Cut into squares to serve.
- Preparation & cooking time does not include 20 minutes to cool.