Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
This recipe is the result of my tinkering with other lowfat oatmeal cookie recipes in an effort to make them moister. The addition of milk results in a softer, cakier cookie. Great for snacks or even breakfast!
- 1 1⁄2 cups old fashioned oats
- 1 medium granny smith apple, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup chopped pecans
- 1⁄2 cup skim milk
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup applesauce
- 2 egg whites
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 1⁄2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons apple pie spice
- Mix together oats, milk, chopped apple, and pecans in a bowl and set aside.
- Mix together brown sugar, egg whites, applesauce, and vanilla in a large mixing bowl.
- Add flour, baking soda, salt, and apple pie spice and stir well to combine.
- Add oat mixture and stir well (the cookie dough will look like lumpy oatmeal).
- Drop batter by tablespoonfuls onto cookie sheets sprayed with non-stick spray or lined with parchment paper. Flatten each cookie slightly with a fork or spatula.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 12 minutes.
this recipe also works well as mini muffins. I left the pecans out and baked them for 1-2 minutes longer. Very good!