Recipe by MissAli
These are delicious and healthy! Great for Breakfast or dessert. I like to make a huge batch and freeze the left overs as toaster waffles for a later date. I'm done with Eggos.
Top Review by Brittta
Great texture and consistency. Didn't have fresh ginger, barely sprinkled powdered ginger in (it's recommended not to do that in other recipes because of taste differences). Has a very strong clove smell when cooking, but is not overpowering when eating. Haven't finished making entire batter yet, but guestimate 18-20 waffles in my little waffle iron (it makes 2 4X4 inch waffles at a time). Mine made 14 waffles and 8 pancakes. I got tired of standing over the waffle iron. ;) Good recipe! Will freeze uneaten portion to toast later.
- 3⁄4 cup applesauce
- 2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 4 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 4 eggs
- 3 cups low-fat milk
- 1⁄2 cup apple juice
- 2 tablespoons fresh ginger, grated
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine flours, baking powder, sugar, cinnamon, clove and nutmeg in a large mixing bowl.
- In another bowl, whisk eggs and add milk, apple juice, ginger and apple sauce.
- Add wet ingredients to dry and blend.
- Cook in a preheated waffle iron, until golden.
- Serve with honey, syrup, sliced apples or your favorite topping.