Prep 12 mins
Cook 35 mins
whether you are watching your waistline, or just health conscious, here is a recipe worth making
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3 tablespoons prune puree (see below)
- 1 tablespoon butter or 1 tablespoon margarine
- 3⁄4 cup skim milk
- 1 (21 ounce) can apple pie filling
- 1 tablespoon sugar, mixed with
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon, for topping
- 1 1⁄3 cups pitted prunes
- 6 tablespoons hot water
- Prune puree:.
- In a food processor, process prune and hot water til finely pureed.
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- In large bowl, mix flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon.
- Add prune puree and butter cut in with pastry blender until mixture resembles course crumbs.
- Mix in milk just to blend.
- Spread pie filling in even layer in a baking dish.
- Spoon batter over apples in 6 equal mounds.
- Sprinkle with sugar-cinnamon mixture.
- Bake in centre of oven 35 mins until batter is baked through and springy to the touch.
- Serve warm with diabetic ice cream, or low fat ice cream if desired.