Recipe by Kittencal@recipezazz
this recipe makes two breads, and they freeze well!
Top Review by janem123
This apple bread was very good. I used 5 medium-sized Jonathan apples that I left unpeeled, cut into chunks, and pulsed in the food processor until shredded. I added 1 1/2 cups chopped pecans to the batter. I don't care for cinnamon, so I substituted 1 1/2 teaspoons of ginger and 1/2 teaspoon of nutmeg. I baked the loaves for 75 minutes, but may bake for a bit shorter period in the future. Thanks for a great recipe.
- 1 cup applesauce (chunky or smooth)
- 3 eggs
- 2 cups sugar (if using sweetened applesauce, use only 1-1/2 cups of sugar, for a less sweet taste)
- 1 -2 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 cups apples (shredded or finely diced)
- 3 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups nuts (chopped) (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Set oven to 325 degrees F.
- Set oven rack to second-lowest position.
- Grease two 9 x 5-in loaf pans or use mini loaf pans.
- Grate the apples; set aside, cover with plastic wrap to prevent browning.
- In a large bowl, combine the applesauce, eggs, sugar and vanilla.
- Sift togethe the flour, cinnamon, baking soda and salt.
- By hand mixing with a wooden spoon mix the dry ingredients to the applesauce mixture.
- Add in the shredded apples and the nuts (if using).
- Transfer mixture to the prepared loaf pans.
- Bake for 75 mins or until loaf breads test done.
- Sprinkle with sugar if desired before slicing loafs.
- If desired you may replace the applesauce with 1 cup of vegetable or canola oil, but will increase the fat!