Recipe by Heather in Barrie
I have made this recipe several times with good results. It is from Bonnie Stern's "Simply HeartSmart Cooking".
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 leeks, trimmed and sliced
- 1 apple, peeled, cored and diced
- 1 potato, peeled and diced
- 2 lbs butternut squash, peeled and diced
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 cup grated light cheddar cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oil in large saucepan. Add leeks and cook gently until tender and fragrant.
- Add apple, squash and potato. Combine well. Add stock and seasonings. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer gently for 30 minutes or until squash is very tender.
- Puree soup. If too thick, add more stock or water. Taste and adjust seasoning if necessary. Sprinkle each serving with grated cheese.