Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
This recipe comes from Hungry-Girl.com, and I just tried it today. I can vouch for its deliciousness. It's very lowfat, but it tastes nearly as good as the high-fat counterparts that are traditionally served on and around Thanksgiving. If you're looking for a healthier alternative to the traditional recipe (8 oz. of which often contains over 400 calories and 20 grams of fat), try this.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Peel squash and cut into large chunks (removing seeds).
- Fill a large, microwave-safe dish with a half an inch of water.
- Place squash into dish and cover with plastic wrap. Microwave for approximately 8 minutes (and drain).
- Squash should be tender enough to mash, but not fully cooked.
- With a potato masher, food processor or fork, mash squash.
- Measure out 2 generous cups, lightly packed, and place in an oven-safe baking dish.
- Add all ingredients except for marshmallows. Mix ingredients thoroughly, but do not over-stir; squash should still be pulpy.
- Allow to cook for 45 – 50 minutes.
- Remove from oven, and disperse marshmallows over top of pie.
- Return to oven for 5 minutes, until marshmallows begin to brown.
- Allow to cool.
I'm soooo sorry. I really really wanted to love this. I had seen it at hungry girl as well and was really looking forward to it. I made it exactly as stated except I used regular skim and 1/3 cup more marshmallows. To begin with, the texture was wrong. I think this HAS to be run through the food processor. Just mashing did not work at all for me. Nothing broke down or got any smoother and I found myself really unhappy with the texture. Secondly, it wasn't sweet at all. It just didn't have any flavor to me. We ended up throwing it out. I'm sorry Ashley. I wanted this to become a favorite that I made over and over again to beat cravings, but it just did not work for me.