Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
I made this when I had some left over garlic shrimp and wanted to do a shrimp alfredo over whole wheat pasta. Lacking the ingredients for a proper Alfredo ( and concerned about the fat load in regular Alfredo) I scrounged around my cupboards and refrigerator and used what I had. The result was wonderful! The roux adds the thickening missing by not using heavy cream and the buttermilk adds a delicious and fat-free tang. Unless you slop it on your pasta with a shovel, this comes out to about 95 calories per serving versus 400-500 for traditional Alfredo - what a difference!
- Melt butter until foaming. Stir in flour and continue stirring for 1-2 minutes until golden in color.
- Whisk in liqiuids, garlic, nutmeg,salt and pepper and continue whisking at a simmer until slightly thickened.
- Disgard garlic. stir in Parmesan and Romano. Stir until cheeses are incorporated.
- At this point you may remove from heat while you cook the pasta or continue with the recipe.
- Whisk the sauce until smooth and of desired consistancy. Adjust seasonings and add any other elements ( shrimp,chicken, scallions, broccoli etc) that you desire.
- NOTE: If adding heavily seasoned elements such as garlic shrimp be sure to make the sauce without the garlic, salt and pepper until you have finished the sauce. Then adjust the flavors at that point.
I didn't have buttermilk or cream, so I did it with 2% milk. I added a bit more flour to thicken it up. Turned out good!
I have not tried this yet, but it sounds like it's right on target. Thanks for posting it . Because we're in the middle of the Christmas holiday I'm looking forward to making this guilt-free dish. I will star rate it as soon as we've tried it.