Prep 25 mins
Cook 35 mins
A classic southern recipe. This is off the package of White Lilly quick grits, they are supposed to be extra good grits because the grit is bigger and they are dry milled which leaves more corn flavor. It says you can use 2 of either the cream of shrimp or cream of mushroom, but I will be down one of each. Cream of shrimp should be easy to find with the Campbell's soups. For the garlic you can use the kind in the jar.
- 1 cup grits, white lilly or 1 cup quick-cooking grits, of a different brand
- 3 cups water
- 1⁄2 cup margarine or 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk or 1 1⁄2 cups cream
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 medium red pepper, diced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 lb medium shrimp, peeled tailed and deveined
- 1 (12 ounce) can cream of shrimp soup
- 1 (12 ounce) can cream of mushroom soup
- Grits: Bring water and butter to boil, reduce heat to medium low. Cover and simmer 9 to 12 minutes or until thickened, stirring occasionally. Stir in milk or cream. Reduce heat to low. Simmer 8 minutes, stirring frequently. set aside, keep warm.
- Shrimp: Heat oil in medium skillet over medium heat. Cook onion, red pepper and garlic until tender. stir in shrimp and soup (straight out the can without water added). Cook 8 to 10 minutes or until shrimp is done. Serve over creamed grits.