Recipe by fluffernutter
A South Carolina recipe ideal for the times when the Squash Fairy arrives and the family is tired of squash. It's very rich, so you may wish to moderate the amounts of butter and cream and crab.
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1 carrot, grated
- 2 small onions, minced
- 1 garlic clove, minced (or 1 teaspoon garlic powder)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2 lbs squash, grated
- 1⁄4 cup crab base (or shrimp base or lobster base)
- 1 quart water
- 1 lb crabmeat
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup half-and-half
- chives, for garnish
Directions See How It's Made
- Melt the butter in a 1-gallon pot and saute the carrots, onions and garlic until onion is transparent.
- Add the pepper flakes and squash and cook until squash is tender.
- Add the crab base and water and mix well.
- Heat to a simmer then add the crab meat.
- Heat through and taste the soup. Add more water if it seems to strong or salty (since soup bases vary in strength).
- Whisk together the flour and a little of the milk to make a paste.
- Whisk in the remaining flour and half-and-half. Add the mixture to the soup.
- Cook, stirring, until the soup thickens, but try not to let it boil.
- Add salt to taste, if needed.
- Garnish with chives to serve.