Recipe by breezermom
Mustard-based sauce is a South Carolina specialty. I really love this on slow cooked pulled pork, cooked on the grill over indirect heat or cooked in a smoker.
Top Review by Galley Wench
I really enjoyed this BBQ sauce. DH wanted his with Texas BBQ Sauce so I cut the recipe in half. Did not have green peppers, but used everything else, changing the proportions a little as I went. Since I was making such a small amount I winged it a bit on the measuring! Did not have dark brown sugar so added a bit more molasses to compensate. Turned out wonderful! Thanks so much for sharing!
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 1⁄3 cup green bell pepper, chopped
- 3⁄4 cup vidalia onion, finely diced
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1⁄2 tablespoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1⁄4 cup dark brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup light brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon molasses
- 1⁄4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 cups prepared yellow mustard
- 1⁄4 cup ketchup
- 1⁄2 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1⁄2 tablespoon black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Sweat the garlic, green bell pepper, and onions in the vegetable oil over medium heat, just until tender. Add the crushed red pepper. Add the brown sugars, honey and molasses and caramelize the mixture.
- Add the vinegar and let simmer for about 15 minutes.
- Add the mustard, ketchup, Worcestershire sauce, water, salt, and black pepper and simmer until reduced by one-fourth.