Prep 25 mins
Cook 10 mins
I created this recipe for a friend who needs a low carbohydrate diet, can eat no grains, has multiple allergies, and likes moist, juicy foods. Spices could be increased to taste.
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 1 onion
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 stalk celery
- 8 ounces mushrooms
- 8 ounces sour cream
- 3⁄4 cup water
- 1⁄2 teaspoon basil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon oregano
- 1⁄4 teaspoon paprika
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 ounce feta cheese
- 1⁄4 cup olive, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup cashews
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon sugar or grains stevia
- 1 cup green beans and zucchini or 1 cup fresh vegetables, of choice
- salt & pepper
- Using a large pot, brown ground turkey in butter; then remove from pot to glass bowl.
- In same pot, sauté onion, celery and garlic in olive oil at medium low heat for 4 minutes.
- Add chopped mushrooms, basil, oregano, paprika, and sauté together for 10 more minutes, or until mushrooms have reduced and juiced.
- Return turkey to pan. Add sour cream and ½ cup water. Cook 3 more minutes.
- In glass bowl, microwave veggies of choice with ¼ cup water at high heat for 3 minutes.
- Add veggies and chopped olives to the turkey and cook for about ten more minutes at a low simmer.
- While you are doing this, mix balsamic vinegar, lemon juice and sugar together in a small container. Chop cashews and toast in a dry pan for 5 minutes or until they start turning a little brown. Add the vinegar/lemon mix to the dry pan and allow the juices to cook off.
- Add feta cheese to the casserole, mix in well. Test casserole and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Sprinkle the seasoned cashews over the top.