Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
Kale or Swiss chard may be used in place of the spinach. This can be made as spicy or as mild as you wish by using hot or mild sausage and more or less pepper flakes.
- 3 links Italian sausage (hot or sweet)
- 1 medium diced onion
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 1⁄2 cups frozen spinach, thawed and drained
- 1⁄2 cup heavy cream
- salt and pepper
- 1⁄2 tablespoon red pepper flakes
- Take the sausage out of it's casing and crumble in a pan with diced onion and minced garlic.
- Cook until sausage is brown and done.
- Drain off fat, if any.
- Put chicken broth, spinach, browned sausage mixture, salt, pepper and red pepper flakes in a pot and simmer for 30 minutes.
- After simmer time, add the heavy cream and simmer for another 10 minutes, or until everything is nice and hot.
- Serve and enjoy.
I love this recipe. I add some small pieces of cauliflower in lieu of the potatoes that you would have at Olive Garden. I also use spicy italian turkey sausage and fat free half and half in order to reduce the fat. I also add some bacon bits to the soup, to add flavor.
Great soup. I also added the cubed potatoes. Just to cut down on the fat a bit I used 2% milk. To add to the texture I also used about 1 full tablespoon of flour.
Excellent, filling soup! I altered the recipe a bit by added cubed potatoes to make it a bit more hearty.