For authentic flavor, top each serving with dill pickles and mustard! This recipe freezes well.
Make and share this Low Carb White Castle Casserole recipe from Food.com.
- Brown the hamburger with half of the onion soup mix; drain fat and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Stir in the remaining soup mix and put meat in a greased 9-10 inch pie plate.
- Stir in half the cheese, then top with remaining cheese.
- Beat eggs, mayonnaise, cream, salt and pepper together then pour evenly over the meat.
- Bake at 350ºF for 30-35 minutes.
- Let stand 10 minutes before serving.
I grew up with White Castles, but now live where we don't have them. I LOVE the taste of this. I have decided to tweak the recipe a bit. I mix everything together raw, like you would a meatloaf. Then I bake it in either 2 mini loaf pans or muffin tins. I bake them until browned (about 45 minute loaf pans, 30 minutes muffin pan). With the mini loaf pans, when you cut them, it almost looks like the square burgers. With the muffin pan, you just flip them out of the pan and they are ready to have as individual servings--very handy for freezing and when only mom is doing the low-carb thing.
This was really good. I used turkey instead of beef, I served it with low sugar ketchup and mustard and a green salad. Thanks for this great recipe!
It really did take like white castle, but not as greasy. I didn't need to add salt to the meat. I think I'll have to try freezing next time. My only suggestion is that I think it should serve 6-8 instead of 4. That cuts the calorie count down considerably and my family was plenty happy with that size serving.