Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 5 mins
Here's a way to enjoy a tuna melt and still stay on your low carb diet!
Make and share this Low Carb Tuna Melt on Zucchini recipe from Food.com.
- 2 (6 ounce) cans tuna packed in oil
- 3 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- 1⁄4 green olives, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup green onion, chopped
- 1 fresh mild green pepper, minced
- 3 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon prepared mustard
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 large zucchini
- 2 small tomatoes, sliced
- 1 1⁄2 cups cheese, grated
- Slice the zucchini into diagonal 'coins'.
- Saute zucchini in a single layer in a saute pan with a little bit of oil until they begin to brown, then turn over and brown the other side a little (this is to both heat them and eliminate a little of the moisture in them).
- Mix drained tuna with parsley, olives, green onions, mayonnaise and mustard (you can swap out ingredients here--try pickled red peppers, capers, celery, brown onion, swap out different peppers for greater or lesser heat--whatever you have on hand).
- Arrange zucchini in small piles on a foil lined baking sheet: I used 4-5 pieces per pile and just slightly overlapped their edges.
- Mound tuna onto zucchini bases.
- Cover each tuna-zucchini mound with a few slices of tomato and then sprinkle with cheese.
- Place under a broiler until cheese is melted and beginning to brown.
This was so good! What a great way to enjoy tuna & zucchini! I used half fat free mayo/half fat free plain yogurt, red onion instead of green, dried parsley & low fat mozzarella (I only used about 1 tbsp-enough for me!). I didn't use any tomato, peppers or onions & tossed the zucchini slices (I used about 8 small slices) with some salt & oregano. What an enjoyable meal! Thank u for sharing this.